2018 was a really busy, hectic, stressful year for us. So, you might notice that a lot of our resolutions for this year are centered around decreasing (hopefully!) the stress and being as productive as possible.
Clint’s 2019 Resolutions
- Put more emphasis on schedules. Our house runs better, and everyone is happier, when we follow schedules. That’s just the way it is. As such, I’m going to put a lot more emphasis on following our schedules as closely as we can. I can already see our new baby (coming late spring) throwing this resolution off track a bit, but I’m still going to do everything I can to ensure our schedules are followed even after the baby is born.
- Put more money away in savings. I’d like to start the process of building our “forever home” at some point this year, and we’re going to need to do something about our car situation when we become a family of five this spring. Both of those things are going to require large chunks of money, so we need to start saving even more for them now.
- Stay consistent with our domestic discipline. It seems like I make a resolution about consistency every year. I suppose that’s because I know how important it is. I feel I’m fairly consistent in enforcing our rules most of the time, but there’s always room for improvement. I need to get to the point where I consistently enforce our rules all of the time.
- Reduce the amount of sweet stuff I eat/drink. I’ll be turning 35 this year, and it’s probably about time for me to cut back on this kind of crap. I love to eat things like candy, donuts, cookies, soda, ice cream, and anything else that is terrible for me, so this year I’m going to cut back on them. I don’t think I can eliminate them all together (I know I would fail at that), but cutting back on them is something I can definitely do/handle.
- Make more time for my family. I feel we already spend quite a bit of time together as a family, but adding even more time to that wouldn’t hurt anything. I never want to regret not spending enough time with my family, so I’m going to make this a resolution not only this year, but every year.
Chelsea’s 2019 Resolutions
- Be in bed by 11:30 each night. The number of nights this past year that I went to bed at 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, sometimes even 6 AM are way too many. Thankfully I function pretty well on no sleep, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t eventually take a toll on me. I’d like to focus on being in bed by 11:30 so that I can read on my Kindle, or on my phone, for a little bit before bed (which also helps to decrease stress, by the way).
- Continue with my “just say okay” mission. This is something I actually started in 2017 (and was one of my 2017 resolutions) but I think keeping up with it in 2019 is a great idea. I don’t want people to misunderstand what I mean by “just say okay”, however. It isn’t me being a doormat, or having no opinion. What I mean is that when Clint and I are having a discussion, or when he makes a final decision, I want to be able to accept that decision and move forward trusting that it is the best decision for our family without constantly second guessing him, or trying repeatedly to make him change his mind. The times when I did this in 2017 worked out great (better than I could have expected) so I’d like to keep up with it this upcoming year. We’ll see how it goes!
- Eat out less frequently. When I cook at home both Clint and my kids absolutely love it. And, truth be told, I love cooking. I really do. But, we live in a very “foodie” city where there are numbers of award winning restaurants on every corner. It’s fun to go out to dinner, try new things, not have to worry about dishes, recipes..but at the same time, I know we need to eat at home more. It’s something that I think Clint really wants me to focus on, and I’m going to do my best to make that happen.
- Knock out a large portion of our To Do List. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a huge fan of to do lists, both personally and with the blog. We started our “master the blog to do list” about 2 years ago and have been slowly crossing out projects month by month. We have a lot that we really want to get done in 2019, and I want to make sure that it happens. I need to stop procrastinating and get it done..one of the projects is really big and time consuming (we’ll announce it next week!) and that’s the one that we really need to focus on. I’m looking forward to a successful 2019 with the blog, that’s for sure.
- Write 3 books. I’ve got some great book ideas sketched out, so now I just need to put them in action. Our eBooks have done really well so far, and I’d love to keep that going. Between my ideas, and Clint’s, I’d love to be able to get 3 books out this year. Keep your fingers crossed!
- Read 1 book a month. I have a Kindle, and I’m addicted to it. Believe it or not, reading at night actually helps to decrease my stress because it helps refocus my mind at night onto other things other than my to do list, grocery list, what I need to do the next day, what I did and didn’t get done the previous day, etc. There were also so many instances this past year where people asked me to read a specific book (normally their books) and I agreed to it and then ran out of time – I hate that! So, if you’re one of the ones that asked me to read your book in 2017..I’m going to get to it this year, I promise!
- Put more of an emphasis on my husband. It’s not a big secret that I love date nights. Who doesn’t, right? But, I have this habit of letting so many other things get in the way after our kids go to bed at night that I feel like sometimes I neglect spending time with Clint. The time we have where it is just the two of us is not a lot..so we need to make the best of it. I know there are nights where we’ll need to work on the blog stuff, or where spending time together won’t be possible, but I’d like to make a conscious effort to have 2 “unplugged” nights a week where we don’t have our phones on, laptops fired up, etc. and just spend time together. It’s important for our marriage.
These resolutions are realistic and achievable, don’t you think? We think so! If you have some resolutions of your own this year, we wish you the best of luck with them! We’re looking forward to the new year, and we think 2019 will be a great one for us and for the blog. We hope it will be a great year for you as well.